Sunday 19 February 2012

Cauliflower Cheese

One of my favourite 'comfort' meals served with a lovely crisp jacket potato or baby new potatoes. My Mum used to regularly make this when we were kids.

Ingredients

I large cauliflower
I large onion
2oz butter
A little sunflower oil (for cooking onions)
10z plain flour
1/2 pint skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
4oz hard cheese ( mature cheddar)
salt & coarsely ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Cut cauliflower into large florets, wash & boil until slightly softened. Do not overcook as they will become watery & fall apart.
2. Whilst the cauliflower is cooking chop the onion and gently fry until softened but not browned. Put to one side.
3. To make the white sauce gently melt the butter, remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the flour to make a paste.

4. Return the pan to a low heat and gradually add a little milk at a time stirring continually to avoid lumps. Remove from heat if necessary. Keep adding the milk until the sauce becomes quite runny and then you can gradually turn up the heat to cook the flour which will thicken up the sauce. If your sauce goes a bit lumpy don't worry. 
5. Add about half of the grated cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.

6. Add the cooked onions, salt & pepper (to taste) and mix well. I also add dried coriander.
7. Strain the cauliflower well. Transfer to an oven-proof dish and cover with the cheese sauce. 

8. Add remaining grated cheese & cook in the oven until bubbling and crispy on top 
(200oC/180oC Fan) for approx 20mins.
This dish freezes well. As one of my daughters is vegetarian I often make 2 dishes and freeze one in individual portions for her.
TIP'S
If you don't have time to make the white sauce from scratch buy a jar of lasagne sauce and add your own grated cheese & onion.


I sometimes add bacon if I'm not cooking a vegetarian dish. Cut the bacon into small pieces and gently fry then add to the sauce with the cheese & onions.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely recipe it looks so scrumptious! I love it when the cheese goes crispy on top. I've always wanted to cook cauliflower cheese, looks mouthwatering!
    -Becky x

    ReplyDelete